Saturday, September 13, 2008

Oh what a CLEVER girl!

HA! I'll bet you thought I was talking about myself again. Nope, not this time.


Here is the gal
She is a master spinner and weaver, and an amazon of a gal who built an ENORMOUS web between two of my bushes. Here is what I found out about her:
She's called a YELLOW GARDEN SPIDER
This is a brightly colored and conspicuous species frequently observed in open, sunny areas, especially in late summer and early fall. Female yellow garden spiders can reach a length of one inch or more. The carapace is silvery-white, and the oval, yellow and black abdomen bears of pair of humps near the base. Males are much smaller, rarely reaching much over a quarter of an inch long. http://entomology.uark.edu/museum/argiope.html

I know I have a girl here because she is WAY over an inch long. I can't put any type of measure near and hold the camera too without ruining the web. Using the tripod is out because the ground is really wet and I don't want to clean up a mess, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Anyway, I think she should be called a piggy-frog spider because, according to the above-cited web site, she "usually eats her web each day and constructs a new one, often in the same place." Can you relate?
I'm going to call her "Tink-erbell."
(ps. I think all the readers here are knitters, but in case you are not, to frog knitting is to rip knitting out, ya know "rip it-rip it," and to tink is to take stitches out one at a time, ie. knit backwards).

AND, in other news:
The IndiaFest was held today at the fairgrounds. While I did NOT enjoy the stinky incense burning, the food was delicious, and the dancing was fascinating. The women wearing saris were spectacularly beautiful. If I didn't have pasty white skin, green eyes, and those extra pounds of flesh, I'd wear one too.

And knitting-wise, I am making the Loops Pattern, Bono Kimono, out of some stash yarn. I frogged a sweater to obtain what I hope will be enough. AND, I'm so sure I'm going to love this sweater, I ordered a bag o' yarn from LittleKnits to make another. The yarn is 10 skeins of a knitting worsted wool: Ella Rae Classic - Smokey Blue Gray (Color #104). There are 219 yards per skein, so I know I'll have enough to make some kind o' somethin'.

It is time to start the Christmas thinking, which is the necessary prelude to the Christmas procrastination, which ends with the Christmas panic, all of which makes me hungry for cookies.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I love those spiders. I do.

Oh gee, missed yet another festival.
Did you mention cookies? mmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

I've heard that some people KILL spiders out of ignorance....obviously you are an animal lover and know better...

My Tattoo

My Tattoo
A bike chain tattoo, that is It's chain lube ya know