Friday, December 28, 2007

Be it therefore RESOLVED . . .


I CANNOT (or will not) stick to any tpe of New Years resolution. Were it otherwise, I would be svelte, fit, would not swear or live in a messy house, or car. So, my quasi-annual self improvement takes the form of learning something new.

Four years, five photography/darkroom courses and 8 cameras, assorted lenses, filters, tripods and vats of chemicals later I can take a photo, develop the film and make a print. THEN came knitting . . . Christmas 2006, my daughter wanted to learn to knit. Although I learned as a kid and re-learned when my kids were babies, I never actually completed anything. Now however I can (and do) knit (and complete) mittens, socks, and most anything I put my mind to doing (not lace). I have put my mind to knit quite a bit. AND, I've acquired a comfortable backlog of projects and to dos as well as a handsome yarn stash. So, what's next?

DECLARING I have no interest in a subject is often the precursor to my complete immersion in it. Based on this observation, my path in 2008 is already cast. In much the same way that I proclaimed I had absolutely no interest in doing darkroom work (note: i LOVE it), I have said I have absolutely no interest in spinning. UH OHHH!!

AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, I received a spindolyn spindle for Christmas from very attentive and champion gift-giver gal pal, Beth. That, of course required that I purchase and secure expedited shipping for some fiber to spin--of COURSE. I have yet to spin anything, but there are only two possible outcomes for attempts at spindle spinning: 1) I'll make a mess of some great fiber and hate it altogether, which will make the case for obtaining a spinning wheel because of the inadequacies inherent in spindle spinning; or 2) I'll absolutely love it, which makes the case for obtaining a spinning wheel because I would love that even more.

AS LUCK WOULD FURTHER HAVE IT, barring an ice storm or other natrual disaster, I am taking my daughter to school in Atchison by way of Lawrence, home of the Yarn Barn, which just so happens to also sell spinning stuff (spelled W-H-E-E-L-S).

IT JUST SO HAPPENS, that the listing for the sale of my medium format camera on e-bay will end in enough time for me to have the money in hand before I leave for Lawrence.
(Note the beautiful symmetry in the sacrifice of the noble tools of one hobby to feed another--circle of life, baby! Awwwww, don't get too teary-eyed at this Disney moment, I still have 7 cameras that I use).

TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the convergence of so much luck and so many just-so-happens, it would be plainly foolish to resist the temptation to get a wheel. In fact, so many signs are in line, the wheel is probably not temptation at all, but divinely ordained. Who am I to resist such a force?

BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED I can justify just about anything.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Perhaps we could learn to spindle and spin together? eh?
When are you going to the Yarn Barn?

Yeah, divinely ordained, that's what I'm thinkin' :^) (I have those same feelings about Esther and The Wheel)

ann I am said...

oh yes--lets learn together! So far I'm completely inept with the spindle.

Meredith has to take a standardized test in Lawrence at 7:30 am on 1/12, so of course we have to go up on 1/11 and spend the night, and of course she'll be to exhausted to travel after the test ;)so we'll spend the night 1/12 too.

Knit and fall back in it said...

Any attempt to fight such a force would be futile. Don't waste your time.

I only thought I was good at justifying things, you are the Queen.

Knit and fall back in it said...

Happy new year to you and your family. See you next week at knitnite.

My Tattoo

My Tattoo
A bike chain tattoo, that is It's chain lube ya know