Monday, February 19, 2007

Sockius--HIDEouS

I just completed my FIRST sock--ever. AND it is ugly, hideous even, in a comical CAT In The HAT, Seuss-ish kind of way.

hid·e·ous /ˈhɪdiəs/ [hid-ee-uhs] –adjective
1. horrible or frightful to the senses; repulsive; very ugly: a hideous monster or SOCK.

The sock is not propped up in the picture, it is standing completely on its own. I ran out of yarn and natrually the shop didn't have another ball of the same yarn. ASIDE HERE: Ok, so I have BIG feet (size 11, if you must know). I consider them a "design feature" they very handily balance out my big butt. In my opinon, nothing looks goofier than a person with tiny little dainty girly feet and a big butt. We may have a little chicken-or-the-egg situation here. What came first big butt or feet? Now there's something to ponder. Back to the SOCK. Sooooooo I got a similar gauge and color, but dissimilar texture yarn to complete the toe. On close inspection, you'll see I kept getting lost in the ribbing so it is knit 2/purl 2 OR 3, sometimes 4. Just like mothers love even doltish and homely children, I love my sock.

And speakking of DOLTISH. (I'm talking about myself here). I've watched the Cat Bordhi episode of Knitty Gritty about 5 times, checked the Treasury of Magical Knitting out of the library--renewed the book TWICE--paid the overdue fine and bought the book. But DAMMIT, I keep screwin' up the cast-on count for making a mobius (or Moebius). THREE overly longish mobius (ii? mobii, plural?)later, I do have it figured out now and am starting an alpaca version of the cowl today. ( Did I mention I have two degrees from a fine private university--AND I essentially READ for a living??? You can't buy smarts, but sheesh you'd think I could count--especially when the show and the book EMPHASIZE how to count the cast-on).

So, now I'm off to complete (well, begin--really) my second sock, correctly count Cat's mobius cast-on technique, work on my modular scarf, and scrub the bathroom. I LOVE having Presidents' Day off.

My Tattoo

My Tattoo
A bike chain tattoo, that is It's chain lube ya know