Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring doin's


I finished a cropped cardigan of some of my handspun. The pattern is a free one on the Berroco website. I wore it on Wednesday, even though it was too warm to do so comfortably.




It looks like even though it is late this year, warmer weather is here to stay and so the usual wardrobe survey has taken place. Which is not actually a survey so much as a frantic scrounge for something suitable to wear with the resultant realization that I must have just gone naked last spring and summer because my clothes are rags. And that startling discovery coincided with the thought that if I'm going to spend a day or two with the spinning guild demonstrating spinning at the Renaissance Faire in May, then I'll need something suitable to wear for that too. I've been told that a broomstick skirt and peasant blouse will suffice, but don't happen to have those to hand either. Soooooooo . . . .

I got to searching and found this cool blog which had recently posted directions for making a broomstick skirt which is gored, NOT tiered and is therefore less likely to make someone smaller than me look like a barn. And that discovery coincided with a sale on rayon which enabled me to make TWO such skirts for $7.50 each. Whoo Hoooo.




And since I'm not particularly a style maven and since I actually think such skirts and birkenstocks look cool, I'll actually wear said skirts--even the neon green one, 'cause --- say it with me ---ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH OVERDOING.

Note, I probably won't wear the peasant blouse outside of doing demos, but it was fun to make. (and I know it's not really a peasant blouse, but it's close)

And since I can't make an entire wardrobe of two skirts of suspect stylishness, my dire need for clothing caused me to root around in my fabric stash where I found several excellent pieces of linen in greens which, alas, are NOT neon. AND, to my surprise, there is some rayon which I remember was not enough yardage for the project I envisioned and may become another broomstick skirt, which I am willing to admit might be too much of a good thing, but probably won't dissuade me from making another.

2 comments:

Stitching At Stone Cottage said...

you can never have too much of a good thing ann...chocolate, skirts...the list goes on...
I love your cropped jacket...

karin roepel said...

Annie you make me look bad, you just whip up a couple of skirts...i would like to see a broomstick that does not make me look like a barn

firgured up how much handspun i need for the sweater, now when to spin it.

Karin

My Tattoo

My Tattoo
A bike chain tattoo, that is It's chain lube ya know